Thursday, August 19, 2010

Divine Goosebumps

I'm not sure how far this subject will propel my train of thought, but I want to find out. And in case it goes somewhere good, I'd like to share it. I've always had a feeling that goosebumps or chills were the effect of a more-than-physical cause. Science says that they happen when we're cold or afraid, which is true (don't get chills so much when I'm afraid though), but it doesn't address the bleeding obvious fact that people also get them when they're inspired, witnessing profound beauty, feeling indescribable love, or when something resonates deeply with their core beliefs. I was just reading a bit of my book, where a shaman was telling a native story to his apprentice about a magical deer. It may sound silly out of context, but the flow of events, the feeling behind the story, and the imagery conveyed induced some mad goosebumps, followed by a tightening in my throat. There's something beyond mere physiology going on here. I guess the subject captivates me the way it does, because to me, it's kind of like a tangible manifestation of something beautifully mysterious and Divine. More on this later. I want to get back to my book.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I just googled divine goosebumps and found this post. I've always thought the same as well, that perhaps theres more to the goosebump sensation than pure physical response to stimuli. For me I only get goosebumps when something heartwarming happens, i find some underlying beauty in arbitrary situations, if I find something profoundly interesting, and lastly if i get the feeling of truth and purity to a subject matter. I have never felt goosebumps for fear, basic emotions, even teenage romance was not a major contributor of the sensation. I really believe that maybe its part of some sort of underlying truth on the nature of things, I think its a hint of enlightenment in the sense of love for all existence. Of course i could be totally wrong but I suspect that we don't fully understand the sensation with our limited science right now.

    ReplyDelete